Monday, June 28, 2010

Life In Sydney

We decided to have a slow weekend in Sydney this weekend, which of course entailed more exploring. Sydney has a huge art festival every other year called the Biennale. The Biennale literally has exhibits at every large museum and has taken over some areas so we decided that we would finally check it out. Instead of going to a museum though we took a free ferry out to Cockatoo Island where the entire museum was adorned in mostly socialist art. There was an even an exhibit with life sized replicas of Mao, Stalin and a breathing Castro (it was a little much). Most of the exhibits were not what I'd define as artsy but their were a couple of huge displays that I liked, including a set of exploding cars, and getting to explore the island and taking two free trips across the harbor made it well worth it. The best part was there were zero cockatoos on the island just a ridiculous amount of seagulls.

Earlier this weekend we decided to go to the racetrack because my friend Kelsey had gone before back in the states and said it was a ton of fun. A company was offering a package deal but we just decided to do it on our own-skipped the champagne breakfast and advice from the expert and see what it was like. It was a pretty big racetrack, it least I think it was I'd never been to one before, but extremely empty when we got there just after the first race. We all decided to place a dollar bet down on the next race and waited eagerly. When my bet paid off I was extremely happy and proceeded to bet on the the last six races and win 12 dollars (despite never betting more than a 1.50 on any race). I would never want to go every weekend but its definitely something to try, especially when horses like AlittlebitofMonica, Shaketheground and OurBillyDaKid come through.

The rest of the pictures that this post/photo album revolve around are my walking trips through Sydney. Sydney has a remarkably effective public transportation system that is always on time but we still prefer to walk it because from where we live we can reach most of the city within an hour. Plus when you're walking you just get to see more things. For instance we went to Hyde Park, in downtown Sydney, and visited a World War I Memorial and what was supposed to be a life-sized chess board (turned out the pieces were only about 2.5 feet high).

Random Sydney Photos

No comments:

Post a Comment