Saturday, June 12, 2010

World Cup Madness

So I still have pictures to post and stories to tell about past experiences but right now it's all about the World Cup. Last night we went down to the Harbor at 9PM to watch the opening ceremonies and we're there till 2:30 watching the opening game between Mexico and South Africa. Sydney is one of seven cities that are sponsoring official FIFA World Cup Festivals and it puts the U.S. to such shame. There were 20,000 people there last night for a game that didn't involve Australia and it was a huge party. The games were broadcast on three or four big-screens floating out on the water and at a park close to the harbor. Only four of us stayed for the game but the atmosphere and tension was great. There was a large Mexico contigent and a fair amount of actual South Africa fans along with a lot of us who just rooted for them because they were the underdogs. It was a first class job by FIFA and all the volunteers and workers and the goals brought even greater joy than usual because huge flames came out from the top of the screens (a welcome treat on a 40 degree night).

Tonight/tomorrow morning the US plays England in their first game. It's 9:30 and I'll be asleep by 10 so I can wake up at 2:30 to get ready for the US game at 4AM. A group of us are going to Cheers, not the original, to watch the game on the big screen and go nuts. Although I'm highly excited for this game I don't have the highest hopes. Two mornings from now will be even crazier when the Socceroos (Australia) take on Germany. It's another 4AM game but we will be at the harbor probably by 2AM to find seats and just soak in the atmosphere. There is Aussie gear everywhere and there are some high hopes for this team. I'll post pictures and hopefully video tomorrow or Monday of our World Cup endeavors and hopefully another post about my earlier adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment